Saturday, January 23, 2016

...

I'm not even sure what to call this one. I've been hiding out in my hotel room ever since it happened. I think I can see people outside the windows sometimes, but whenever I go to check, there's nothing there. I don't know what to think.

The shower keeps turning on and off and there's no one in there and what the fuuuuuckkk.

Ok, context. Context context.

I'd been eating whatever fast-food I could scrounge up lately. I decided to finally just go to one of the convenience stores in town, just to buy some chips and a few two liters of soda. Just something to hold me over for a little while. The only place I could find that actually wasn't a sit-down restaurant was this little Dollar-Tree type place. I don't even remember what the name was at the time. I think I was more concerned with trying to figure out if people were following me.

I'd bet actual money someone was. Kind of hope it was Virgil. At least that's a familiar kind of creepy.

The store was about what I expected. Rows of knock-off toys, cheaply packaged cookies, and the like. A little display of party balloons in the corner next to some cans of creamed corn. I picked up a few bags of chips, some microwaveable meals, and a thing of Coke. Just enough to last me a couple days. There was nobody at the counter, so I figured I'd look around a little.

There wasn't much to really see at first. At least until I looked behind the register.

Behind the counter was a handgun, because of course there was, along with a two-way radio. That was really weird, but it started to explain some things. I was just starting to look at the radio to check the frequency when I hear this loud, wet thumping coming from the back office. Like if you threw uncooked beef at a wall. I started getting real uneasy. Even more than I already was.

Just as I come back around the counter, this gorgeous looking blonde woman comes out of the back office. She couldn't have been more than nineteen, maybe. It was odd, because she was utterly beautiful, but at the same time, there was something not quite right about her. She had this black hoodie on. Pure black, no design. It was stained. Stained with what, I'm still not sure. Jeans and old boots. Smile was a little too wide, eyes a little too big. All these little inconsistencies in the way she moved that lumped together into a ball of unease in my gut.

She was cheerful, bubbly, and rang me up with no issues. Said her name was Anne. Apologized about the noise. She said that they'd been having a real "rat" problem lately. The emphasis is mine of course, because that sound was a whole lot fucking bigger than a rat.

We had a little back and forth. Just idle conversation while she counted the money.

"You in town for long?"
"No. Just visiting."
"Visiting who?"
"Nobody."
"Then why're you here?"

There was an accusing tone to her voice,  and I could see her smile disappear for a moment. Her eyes glanced at me. It was hard to tell if she was checking me out or not, and if she was, I can't say if it was in a sexual way. It felt more like some kind of animal eyeing another before it attacked. I kept my hands close to me, so I could grab the gun if I needed to. Started checking the exits. Could see people passing the glass-pane window giving me sideways looks. Expected a shot, or a scream, or something.

Nothing happened. I took my stuff and went back to the hotel room. Been in here ever since.

I only tried to go outside once, and when I did, I saw Anne standing in the parking lot. Right next to my car. Just staring at me.

I know it might just be me going crazy, but I swear to god I know what I saw.

I could've sworn she had sharp teeth.

The TV just turned on by itself again. Tried unplugging it. Didn't work. Keeps showing old stock footage of grasshoppers being eaten by ants and animal carcasses decomposing.

I fucking hate this town.