Wednesday, January 20, 2016

History and a New Lead

I decided to start digging into the town's history more. Cole was a decent source, but I had to sift most of what I got in the last update out of his drunken ramblings about "Kings" and Heineken. Town library was all kinds of creepy. Really decrepit. Cobwebs on the older bookshelves. Not a computer in sight. Receptionist was some college age gal. Basically told me to piss off when I asked her where the town records were. Half of me wanted to slap that shitty blue dye out of her hair.

Kids these days, eh?

Anyway. After about an hour of searching, I found some of the town's records. Established in 1894 by some protestant settlers from out-east. Started out as a trading post for fur-trappers, expanded out during the gold rush and died down for a couple years. The strange thing was that all the census records were water-damaged, to the point I could barely read any of them. The ones that weren't water damaged had been, inexplicably, marked up with sharpie.

I'm getting the distinct sense that some shady shit is going on, if that wasn't already obvious.

The weirdest part was when I went back into the maze of bookshelves. While I was looking through their section on stuff about the occult, someone pulled a book out of the shelf in front of me. Through the hole, I could see they were wearing a mask. It didn't register at first, but it looked like a Noh mask.

You know? One of those creepy Japanese stage masks?

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Anyway, this creepy asshole suddenly shoves a paper through the hole and says, in this really raspy, perverted sounding voice, that "the children don't sing anymore". Before I can even say anything, not that I'm sure I would have even known what to have said, they were gone. I took the paper and checked around the entire library, but they must have known some kind of bullshit Scooby-Doo secret corridor or something because I couldn't find anything.

The paper they gave me said this:

"Rosenberg. Follow the Path. Do not trust the Judge. They will try and stop this, but what is set in motion cannot be prevented. You need my help, I need yours. Meet me at [removed the location for the sake of safety]. He knows what you're here for, and they will come for you if you're not careful. Dig deep enough and you put a bullseye on your back.

- Virgil"

Alright. "Virgil". I'll play along. 

Saw another kid on the way back to the hotel room. Was on roller-blades. Just keep rolling along, staring at me while I walked. Nobody seemed to notice it but me. Spotted that bastard Sheriff again too. 

He's in on this shit. I fucking know it.