Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Just Another Small Town?

I was going to give this a clever little name, like the last investigation, but fuck it. I'm lazy. Here's what I know so far.

The town is actually called Redwood Falls. Yes, I know many of you would love to correct me on that. Don't.

The flight over was underwhelming. Went on Karvina instead of Delta, and paid out the ass for it. Got stuck between some jerkoff mom and her screaming kid, with a blubbery fat fuck on the other side. There are two armrests for a reason, people. You're supposed to only use one. That's not to mention the fact that airplane food sucks.

Yes, I know what you're going to say. Shut up and let me finish.

So, Redwood Falls. Pretty much what I expected. Stereotypical small town in the Pacific Northwest. Just a stone's throw from the coast, really. I did a bit of research online and it barely shows up anywhere. All I can seem to find is stuff for another city named Redwood Falls in Minnesota and a cancelled video-game. Gonna be honest, not the best first impression. As far as I could tell, the town was founded in the late 1800s, around 1880 or so.

Took a long bus ride from the airport in Salem to get there, and it's actually shockingly pretty. It has that same charm a place like Gary, Indiana might have if it weren't, you know, Indiana.

My boss, we'll call her ALETHA, since that's one of the pseudonyms she uses, set me up with a hotel out on the edge of town. It's dingy as all get out, and I'm pretty sure the manager has holes in the walls, but there aren't many other options. I sure as hell am not going to use those campsites, thanks. The dozen and a half signs for bears in the area were not encouraging.

The idiot gave me a two bed room, because of course he did. That said, there was soda in the fridge and some decent coffee on the desk, plus some soft as fuck pillows, so I can't complain that much.

Oh, who am I kidding. I can't stop complaining. The deer's head on the wall is fucking creepy, so there's that.

Anyways, ALETHA had one of my other contacts leave some docs stashed in a flash-drive. Typical dead-drop kind of stuff. They left it in a tree outside the hotel for some reason. The inner machinations of her contact's mind are an enigma.

Most of the docs were about sightings of some kind of creature in the area. Real weird stuff. Some conflicting reports, but everyone seemed to be saying it had antlers. Tall, too. Big, bright eyes, like deadlights. I'll post some of the eyewitness accounts if I have time. Based on what I've read, this could be bigger than it seems.

On the town itself, though. It's still the ass-end of winter, so I didn't do much exploring, but there's a mom & pop type diner down the road that I'll check out tomorrow when I have time. Gotta get some sleep before then.

Phone rang earlier, but they hung up before I could answer. Probably a wrong number.