Saturday, February 6, 2016

Broken Masquerade Part 3

Deb here, again. Gittes is stuck with the shotgun right now, so I'm going to type this out to keep track of what's going on. 

Like he already said, the town is totally abandoned now. Sometimes it seems like I see people in corners and back alleys, but any time one of us goes to check, there's nobody there. We headed into the town hall to see if there was anyone around, and, of course, there wasn't. What's odd is that it seemed like everyone just up and disappeared. Like, one minute they're here. The next, poof. Gone. There was even food in the break room. Still warm. We didn't touch it, and after that thing at the diner, a ham sandwich just doesn't look right anymore. 

The whole place was pretty standard for government buildings I've seen. Kind of ornate. A lot of marble pillars and this whole "rustic" wood aesthetic going on. If things were different, I'd say it was kind of nice. The walls were mostly this old wood, and they had portraits of the town mayors over the years. I didn't notice it at first, but that same symbol kept showing up in the background. A hand in a triangle with three dots. Sometimes it was on a window, other times it was a partially obscured tattoo. You didn't see it at first, but it was always there in the later portraits. 

In the center of the room was a little help desk. It was a large, cylindrical room that peeled off into smaller offices and storage rooms. Nothing really that odd about it. The architecture seemed really specific, though. Just looking at the geometry of the place gave me a headache. It's hard to describe. The hallways seemed a little longer than they should've been, the walls seemed to get closer and closer as you walked down halls. We were all pretty quiet, and there were a couple times that I swore I heard someone breathing right behind me.

I heard a helicopter go over while we were inside. We went out to check, and Virgil spotted a couple of unmarked helicopters flying over the town. We heard fighter jets too and went back inside. 

Just a week ago, I thought this was just some weird town in the middle of nowhere. Now I know better. 

The town isn't just wrong. It's alive.

We stayed in the town hall until the helicopters left. They looked military, and nobody wanted to chance getting shot. I started hearing this creaking noise from the walls. I mean, not really creaking so much as a groaning. Like a house settling but more protracted and consistent. Gittes went up the wall, he'd heard it too, and smacked it with the butt of the shotgun. 

It crumpled easily, and inside there was flesh. Not dead, alive. Muscles and veins that quivered when the cold air hit them. We were all in shock. Or, at least, Gittes and I were. It's hard to tell what Virgil is thinking most of the time. 

Then, an eye grew out of the flesh. A human eye. It looked straight at me.

I almost screamed. Gittes tried to stop me, but I stumbled backwards and knocked one of the portraits off the wall. There was that symbol again, painted on the wall behind it. 

I still don't understand what the symbol means. We didn't have much time to look into it, though, because blood started pouring out of that hole in the wall. Just gushing everywhere. Then, intestines, like snakes, started worming out and lashing at us. 

We ran. 

Now, we're hiding out in a truck stop, and I can hear something stomping around the town. We heard a loud crashing a few minutes ago. I looked outside, and there's something moving. Something huge. I tried to see what it was, but it was hard to tell. It looked almost like a gigantic mass of flesh jutting out of the ground. 

There's more crashing. 

oh my god

the ground outside just peeled open

what is