Saturday, February 6, 2016

Broken Masquerade Part 4

There's a lot of unpacking that needs to be done, so I'll be blunt.

We were hiding out in the gas station when things started going south. Monsters, like the thing in the diner and Anne, bigger than anything I've ever seen, were moving throughout the town. There were black helicopters (unmarked of course) taking potshots at them, all the while I could hear jets going overhead. We kept our heads down. Soldiers were going through the town too, fighting with the things. They were using uniforms I've never seen before; big, bulky suits with face-masks and carrying flamethrowers. The things were all over the place, though.

I saw floating masses of organs that were hovering over the town. I saw a bodiless circulatory system climbing across buildings like a spider. It was fucking chaos.

Then, an antique shop across the street was hit. Grenade, or missile. I'm not really sure. Either way the whole building went up. The ground started shaking and I could see, in the fire and rubble, that the ground around the building was bleeding.

The road started to peel open, like god himself just unzipped it. I couldn't see the bottom.

Something was coming out of the ground.

I didn't get a chance to see what it was. Before anyone could react, Antlers was in the middle of us all. We all paused, and it felt like time did too. Next thing I know, I'm in a cave. It took me a long time to get my bearings. I had a flashlight in my bag, so naturally I turned it on and looked around. There was a little daylight from a few big holes in the ceiling. That was when I realized where I was. I was beneath the town. As far as I can tell, at least where I am, these tunnels were old mineshafts or something. The whole place looks, feels, and smells like a corpse. Where the walls aren't covered in stone, they're covered in rotted flesh.

I'm basically in the guts of the fucking town now. Literally. Fuck my life.

Found Deb and Virgil after a while. Virgil said that he figured Antlers didn't want us dead in an airstrike. I said that I might have preferred it, the way things were going. Based on the few signs left, we're nearing some kind of center shaft. Everything leads into it, like a big spider web. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that the center is where we're going to find our church.

Updates as they come.

Also, no, I don't know why the last post was in the future. At this point, that's a benign kind of weird that I can live with. And no, I'm not really sure how I'm still getting signal in a mineshaft.

If I'm totally honest, I stopped asking questions quite some time ago.