Saturday, February 6, 2016

Still Running

I'm starting to think this is going to be my last entry.

Not, like, last as in on this blog. Last ever.

We've been walking out of the town for hours now and haven't seen anyone. It's getting cold out now too. The wind's kicked up and I can smell the town burning a few miles behind. It's an unmistakable smell. Ash has been falling like snow for the last hour now. Deb started crying. Can't say I blame her.

I understand, now, why the Church hadn't killed me. This blog, this whole thing was meant to be a message. I think they wanted me to come here, to tell people about them. Virgil wanted the truth to get out just as much as they did, I suppose. Maybe people will get word around because of this.

Sun's started coming up over the horizon.

We stopped at a gas station a mile or so back. Looked normal. Not off or strange like the town. Thought there might be people inside, since there were lights on.

There weren't. Not living people, at least.

Everyone was dead. Gunshot wounds. Normal folks, just a tourist and two old folks that seemed like they manned the shop. We grabbed what we needed and ran.

Normal people. They just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, I guess.

Helicopters keep buzzing overhead. We duck into cover when they show up, but odds are they already know where we are.

I wanted to go home at first, but I'm just so tired. I'm done with it all. I just want to get this over with and go home. If they're going to kill me, then so be it. I might be able to take a few of them with me when I-

oh fuck

there's a checkpoint up ahead. they can see us.

oh shit oh shit oh shit theyre coming what the fuck where is deb

please god im sorry dont